Everything About Pet

How to Treat Sarcoptic Mange With Lime

Sarcoptic mange is a skin disease brought about by infection with the Sarcoptes scabei mite. Mites closely related to spiders and are so small that they cannot be seen with the naked eye. Female sarcoptes mites burrow in the skin and leave eggs. This often generates an inflammatory response in the skin that is similar to an allergic reaction. Sarcoptic mange is a contagious skin disease and needs to be treated promptly. If your dog is diagnosed with sarcoptic mange, lime sulfur dips may be prescribed as treatment.


Sarcoptic Mange


Things You’ll Need

  • Lime sulfur concentrate
  • Protective gloves
  • Water
  • Bucket


Steps to Treat Sarcoptic Mange With Lime

Put on protective gloves. Shake the lime sulfur concentrate, add 4 oz. of concentrate to 1 gallon of water and mix well.

Pour lime sulfur dip over the dog; be sure to reach all the areas affected with mange. Do not rinse. Do not allow the dog to ingest any of the lime sulfur dip since it can make her sick.

Allow the dog to air dry; don’t use a blow dryer to speed the drying process.

Repeat the process every five to seven days or as directed by your veterinarian. The average treatment time can take four to six weeks or longer.


Tips and Warnings

  • If the dog has long or matted hair, shaving is recommended.
  • Putting an Elizabethan collar (also known as an e-collar) on the dog will stop him from ingesting the lime sulfur dip. The e-collar, which is in the shape of a cone, fits over the dog’s head and prevents him from being able to reach any area of his body with his tongue or mouth.
  • Always wear gloves when you treat sarcoptic mange with lime sulfur dip because it will make your hands smell and can stain or damage jewelry.
  • Avoid contact with eyes and mucus membranes.


You Might Also Like :: What are the Benefits of Spaying a Dog?


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.